« Home | Holiday break is killing me. » | Blogs, lying, secrets .... A New Year's resolution » | Some troubles » | Hit the Nail on the Head » | Moving on. » | Randomness... » | SUCH a girl... » | Ground rules. » | Boring life.... » | More about boys... »

Jobs.

I think I mentioned in here somewhere that I'm applying for a bunch of jobs. Just late last week I sent out just over 30 packets (containing a cover letter, resume, clips, references, etc) to potential employers.

I have since gotten a promising phone call and four promising e-mails. I'm really excited. Next week (I think Thursday - still waiting to hear back from him), I have an interview at Small Daily Newspaper.

Pros of working for Small Daily Newspaper (SDN):
1. It's a cops and courts reporting beat - which is what I want to do
2. It's a paying job
3. It's in Michigan, so I can still see my family and friends (it's only 2 hours away)
4. It's in Michigan, so I can still go see Tiger's games easily
5. It sounds like a place where I would really get to find my niche and be allowed to write really enterprising stories, find my own investigations and follow my heart.
6. It's not owned by a huge media conglomerate, so I would be able to work there without big boss men telling me what I have to do, how much I get paid, and constantly fearing my job
7. It's a daily newspaper

Con of working for SDN:
1. It's really small (circ: 7,500 - which is about 1/5 the size of the Daily newspaper I interned at - and have a pretty good chance at getting job at if there is an opening)
2. I sent out over 30 resumes, so I don't want to commit to something and get a call from a larger daily who wants to hire me and have to leave
3. I hope they either a. want to hire me after graduation in May or b. want to hire me now and can work around my school schedule which is Tuesday and Thursday mornings - so it's not too bad.
4. It's really small.

So we'll see what happens with that. He's supposed to be getting back to me as to where and exactly when he wants to meet up, so I'll keep you posted as far as my progress goes. Wish me luck.

Labels: , , , ,